Doha, Nov 21 (EFE).- Cristiano Ronaldo said Monday that he has nothing left to prove in his career and denied that an explosive recent interview he gave would affect the morale of the Portuguese international team.
In the interview, he said he felt “betrayed” by his club Manchester United, accusing them of trying to force him out, and that he does not respect manager Erik Ten Hag.
Ronaldo was addressing a press conference in Doha ahead of Portugal’s opening World Cup match against Ghana on Thursday.
“If I still have to prove (anything) at the age of 37 years and eight months, I would be worried, after what I have done and won,” Ronaldo said, before adding that “of course, I have to prove what I am year after year.”
He said his dispute with his club would not affect his international teammates.
“All the players, all the staff, the whole dressing room, know me and know how I am and think. They have known me since I was 11 years old. They will not be influenced by what they say or write,” he said.
Ronaldo also explained an apparently frosty exchange with United teammate Bruno Fernandes that went viral at the beginning of the training camp last week
“My relationship with him is excellent,” he insisted, explaining that Fernandes’ “plane arrived late and I asked him if he had come by boat.”
“The atmosphere in the national team is very good. There are no problems. The group is strong,” he continued.
“There is no need to talk about me,” said Ronaldo, who is Portugal’s all-time leading goalscorer with 117 in 191 games over the past 19 years.
Qatar will be a record-equaling fifth World Cup for the superstar. His eternal rival Lionel Messi is also expected to reach that milestone at the tournament.
“It’s going to be my fifth (…), but the responsibility is the same as when I went to live in Lisbon at the age of 11. I always have responsibility. As a player, a friend and a father. It’s part of my daily life. I like to have responsibility. The pressure is always the same. I am capable of withstanding it,” Ronaldo said. EFE