Kyiv, May 28 (EFE).- A person was killed and another was wounded after Russia carried out the largest barrage of drones in Kyiv overnight, Ukrainian authorities said on Sunday.
Ukrainian defense systems shot down a total of 40 Iranian-made Kamikaze drones during the assault, head of city military administration Serhii Popko wrote on Telegram.
“This was the largest-ever drone attack on the capital since the beginning of the full-scale invasion, particularly using Shahed loitering munitions,” Popko said.
“The attack was carried out in several waves, and the air raid alert lasted more than five hours,” he added.
According to the authorities, buildings were damaged and fires broke out in several districts due to debris from downed drones.
A seven-story non-residential building was hit by drone remains in the Holosiivskyi district, leaving one person dead and another wounded.
Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko reported the first explosions took place around 1.00 am, adding drones continued to hit the capital in several waves from various directions during the night.
Elsewhere, the death toll from Friday’s missile strike on a clinic in eastern Ukraine’s city of Dnipro rose to four.
Dnipropetrovsk governor Serhiy Lysak posted on his Telegram account that the number of dead increased after three missing people were found dead.
According to Lysak, the newly-identified victims comprised a doctor, 56, a hospital employee, 64, and a 57-year-old employee of a nearby veterinary clinic.
A 69-year-old man had been previously reported dead, with over 20 others injured, including two children ages 3 and 7.
“We must defeat these inhumans irrevocably and as soon as possible,” Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said right after the initial death toll was released.EFE