Jerusalem, Aug 17 (EFE).- A 32-year-old Palestinian was shot dead in an armed clashes during an Israeli military raid in the West Bank city of Jenin on Thursday.
The Palestinian health ministry identified the deceased as Mustafa al Kastuni, who succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds on his head, chest, and abdomen.
Health officials also reported that a medical worker from the ministry sustained two gunshot wounds during the Jenin raid.
An Israeli military spokesperson said security forces conducted a search operation in Jenin on Thursday “to arrest a terrorist cell associated with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad organization.”
The spokesperson said two suspects were arrested during the operation, which led to armed clashes with Palestinians on the scene.
The army said a soldier sustained mild shrapnel injuries.
The spokesperson said the slain Palestinian “was involved in terrorist activities, including attacks on soldiers.”
During the operation, Israeli forces seized weapons and dozens of read-to-use explosive charges during the raid.
The killing of a Palestinian man in Jenin is the latest in a prolonged spiral of violence in the region experiencing its bloodiest year since the Second Intifada (2000-2005).
The violence has mainly rocked the northern West Bank, especially the cities of Jenin and Nablus.
So far this year, 182 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict in the West Bank or on Israeli territory.
Most of the dead were attackers or militants who died in gun battles with Israeli troops. But the deceased also included civilians, 33 of them being minors.
The region has seen the proliferation of new Palestinian armed groups. Attacks by Palestinians have left 28 people dead on the Israeli side, most of them settlers.
Five of the dead on the Israeli side were minors, and three were men in uniform. EFE