Tokyo, Aug 22 (EFE).- North Korea intends to launch a satellite between Aug. 24-31, some three months after a failed attempt to do so, Japan said Tuesday.
The Japan Coast Guard said it was notified by North Korea early Tuesday that Pyongyang was going to designate three maritime risk zones for that period – two west of the Korean peninsula and one east of the Philippine island of Luzon – which is done due to the risk of rocket debris falling during launch.
The announcement comes after the North Korean regime tried to launch what it claimed was its first military reconnaissance satellite on May 31, but the rocket carrying it crashed into the sea due to engine failure.
The country had said then that it would attempt to relaunch the satellite soon.
This new attempt to put the satellite into orbit follows a trilateral summit held last week between the United States, South Korea and Japan, during which the allies agreed to boost security ties with North Korea’s weapons development program in mind, among other common challenges.
North Korea has launched six rockets with the aim of putting reconnaissance satellites into orbit, including the failed attempt in May.
The international community tends to closely monitor such launches, which they consider to be covert tests of ballistic missile technology. EFE