2 Palestinians killed during Jenin clash in West Bank

Jerusalem, Jan 19 (EFE).- Two Palestinians died in a clash during an Israeli army raid on the Jenin refugee camp in the occupied West Bank on Thursday, authorities said.


The deaths brought the number of Palestinians killed during clashes with Israeli forces so far this year to 17.


The Palestinian health ministry identified the deceased as Basem Jabarin, 28, and Farid Bawaqna, 38.


Israeli and Palestinian media said Jabarin was an alleged member of the Islamic Jihad organization. He died of gunshot wounds he received in the abdomen.


Bawaqna, a teacher, was hit by a bullet in the chest


According to the official Wafa news agency in Palestine, “occupation forces shot teacher Bawaqna while he was trying to provide first aid to Jabarin, who was wounded in the center of the Jenin camp.”


The agency also reported that the Israeli army prevented ambulance teams from entering the camp to take the injured to the hospital.


They were shifted to hospitals in private vehicles.


Palestinian sources indicated that heavy clashes occurred between armed Palestinians and Israeli troops.


Israeli forces arrested several demonstrators during the raid.


Since last year, Jenin has been one of the main sources of violence in the occupied West Bank.


There have been intense Israeli raids and armed clashes with Palestinians, especially since March last year when Israel launched a so-called “Breaking the Wave” military operation in response to a wave of attacks on Israeli soil.


Since then, violence has been on the rise, leaving more than 170 Palestinians dead, according to the Palestinian health ministry.


The fatalities have been most militants, but include children and civilians such as Al Jazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh. EFE
sga-ssk