Jerusalem, Nov 30 (EFE).- A Palestinian man has been killed during a fresh Israeli army raid in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, amid the worst wave of violence in the region in years.
“A citizen with gunshot wounds to the chest succumbed to his critical injuries in the town of Yabad,” the Palestinian ministry of health said in a statement.
Clashes between Palestinians and Israeli soldiers erupted after the security forces stormed an area near the West Bank city of Jenin in the afternoon, surrounded a house, and called its residents to surrender, according to Wafa news agency.
In a Twitter post, the Israeli army confirmed the operation and the arrest of Aha Aa’ani Harzallah, who is “suspected of terrorism, with a prior history of terrorism.”
During the raid, soldiers confiscated “an M-16 rifle, a military vest and terrorist funds.”
On Tuesday, five Palestinians were killed and an Israeli soldier was wounded in four separate incidents in the West Bank.
This year has been the deadliest for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2006
There have been intense Israeli raids and armed clashes with Palestinians, especially since late March when Israel launched a military operation it calls “Breaking the Wave” in response to a wave of attacks by Israeli Arabs and Palestinians on Israeli soil.
Since then, violence has been on the rise, leaving at least 156 Palestinians dead, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The victims have mostly been militants, but also include children and civilians such as Al Jazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh.
A total of 29 Israelis have also died, including 21 civilians, the IDF has said. EFE