Medelim, Portugal (EFE).- In the small village of Medelim, in the municipality of Penamacor near Portugal’s border with Spain, local youth formed a human chain on Tuesday to save dozens of centuries-old olive trees from a fast-moving wildfire. The fire, which started Monday afternoon, has already scorched over 500 hectares (1235.5 acres) and continues to threaten homes and farmland.
“We’re doing what we can to save the olive trees,” said Maria Recio, one of the 20 volunteers, as she passed a bucket of water to a fellow villager.
Behind her, the sound of burning wood echoed as flames hollowed out the ancient trees from the inside.
The rescue effort is centered on the Quinta Chão da Igreja, a historic olive grove at the heart of Medelim.
Volunteers are using buckets and tubs to douse the trees, while firefighters lay hoses to build a perimeter and protect nearby homes.

Villagers fight flames by hand
“It’s a tragedy. This is so sad,” said Laura Freias, another young resident, as she poured water onto a burning tree trunk.
André Silva, also volunteering, distributed water and warned others of collapsing trees.
“Some are falling, and it’s dangerous to be too close,” he cautioned, while thick black smoke loomed from nearby hills.
The fire’s front, driven by strong winds, moved in from Bemposta, just 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) away.

The road between the two villages has been cut off due to fire risk.
Despite official claims that the fire was “under control” earlier in the day, flames remained active near Medelim as of Tuesday afternoon.
Portugal battles multiple wildfires
The Penamacor fire is one of several fires affecting central and northern Portugal.
As of Tuesday evening, over 3,600 firefighters and 39 aerial units were combatting wildfires across the country, according to the National Authority for Emergency and Civil Protection (ANEPC).
The most heavily resourced operation is in Arouca, south of Porto, where 719 firefighters and 10 aircraft are working to contain flames.

Additional fires are burning near Nisa, also close to the Spanish border, and in Ponte da Barca in the north, near Galicia.
Portuguese Prime Minister Luís Montenegro urged citizens to cooperate with emergency services during what he called a “complex and difficult period” for the country.
Heatwave raises fire risk
Portugal’s meteorological agency has issued high-risk alerts for wildfires across the North, Center, and Algarve regions due to a forecast of extreme weather.
Temperatures are expected to exceed 40°C in many areas, with relative humidity dropping below 30%.
“These conditions are highly favorable for wildfires and make suppression efforts more difficult,” authorities warned.
Back in Medelim, the villagers remain focused on their immediate goal: saving what they can.
“These olive trees have been here for generations,” said Recio. “We’re not giving up on them now.” EFE
cgg-ssa-seo/dgp






