
Washington, July 15 (EFE).- Days after an assassination bid on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump at a rally, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continues to probe the motives behind the attack, even after accessing the shooter’s phone and interviewing up to 100 witnesses.
Nearly three days after the shooting, questions remain about what motivated the assassination attempt and how a 20-year-old could climb onto a roof and fire eight shots before being subdued by Secret Service agents.
In a statement to CNN, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas admitted a “failure” in the security surrounding Trump, who was officially declared the Republican candidate for the November elections on Monday.
“When I say that something like this cannot happen, we are speaking of a failure,” said Mayorkas, who oversees the Secret Service, responsible for protecting U.S. politicians.
A rifle that the shooter’s father bought 11 years ago
The shooter, Thomas Crooks, 20, acted alone, using an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle legally purchased by his father in 2013, according to a source familiar with the investigation.
Crooks was a registered Republican voter, but election records show a $15 donation in 2021 to the Progressive Participation Project, a Democratic organization.
In a statement on Monday, the FBI said it has accessed Crooks’ phone and is examining his communications before the attack, along with other electronic devices.
Bomb-making materials found in his vehicle and residence are being analyzed at the FBI’s Quantico offices in Virginia.The FBI has conducted nearly 100 interviews with law enforcement personnel, rally attendees, and other witnesses.
Security Concerns and Investigations

The assassination attempt on Trump, the first such incident since Ronald Reagan in 1981, has raised questions about Secret Service security protocols, prompting the US government to announce an independent investigation.
According to NBC, the Secret Service had identified the roof, from which the shooter fired, as a potential security risk.The building, 135 meters from where Trump was speaking, was outside the event’s security perimeter.
The Secret Service claims local authorities were responsible for securing the building, a statement the county prosecutor has denied.In an interview to ABC, Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle took “responsibility” for the incident but will remain in her position.
Cheatle said local authorities were tasked with securing the building and confirmed that local police were inside while Crooks was on the roof.
Increased Security Measures for Candidates
As the investigation progresses and amid concern about possible similar incidents, US President Joe Biden ordered enhanced Secret Service protection for presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr. and additional measures for Trump.
Secretary Mayorkas outlined improvements to Trump’s security, including increased fencing and recognition technology for the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.Kennedy Jr., running as an independent candidate against Trump and Biden in the November elections, had previously been denied Secret Service protection.
Following the attack on Trump, legislators Mike Lawler (Republican) and Ritchie Torres (Democrat) announced a bill to provide “enhanced Secret Service protection” to Biden, Trump, and Kennedy Jr. during the campaign. EFE bpm-at-nqs-ssk