A sign informs customers about opening promotions on the opening day of Shein's first-ever physical store in Paris, France, Nov. 5, 2025. EFE/EPA/TERESA SUAREZ

France moves to temporarily suspend Shein as first physical store opens in Paris

Paris (EFE).- The French government has launched a procedure to temporarily suspend operations of Chinese fast-fashion giant Shein in France, demanding the platform prove that all of its online content complies with national regulations.

The move comes amid a judicial investigation into the sale of child-like sex dolls and coincides with the opening of Shein’s first physical store in Paris on Wednesday.

Government orders compliance review

“At the instruction of Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu, the government is initiating a temporary suspension procedure for Shein until the platform demonstrates compliance with existing laws and regulations,” the government said in a brief statement, noting that authorities will review the situation within 48 hours.

In parallel, Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez has filed a request to block Shein’s website, the Economy Ministry confirmed.

If banned items remain available after 48 hours, the government could issue a digital injunction ordering service providers to suspend access to the site.

Economy Minister Roland Lescure said France has “strong grounds” to raise the issue at the EU level, adding that Digital Affairs Minister Anne Le Henanff has already contacted the European Commission to request a formal investigation into Shein’s practices.

Store opening amid protests and controversy

The government’s announcement came just two hours after Shein opened its first physical store in Paris, located inside the BHV department store near Notre-Dame Cathedral.

The 1,200-square-meter (3,937-square-feet) space attracted large crowds, including protesters who accused the company of unfair competition, labor exploitation, and environmental harm.

Lescure reiterated that the government “will not hesitate” to ban Shein’s activities if illegal conduct is confirmed.

Earlier this week, the Paris public prosecutor launched an investigation into Shein and AliExpress for the “distribution of pornographic images of minors” and the sale of “violent or degrading” content accessible to minors. The probe also targets Temu and Wish.

French media reported Wednesday the arrest of a man near Marseille after authorities intercepted a child-like sex doll purchased on Shein and shipped to his name.

Political fallout and corporate backlash

Shein executives are expected to testify before a parliamentary commission on Nov. 18 on how prohibited products were made available in France.

Meanwhile, lawmakers from several political parties announced they will introduce a European resolution calling for stronger action against fast fashion.

Conservative MP Antoine Vermorel-Marques also filed a criminal complaint, alleging the sale of prohibited weapons such as machetes and brass knuckles on Shein.

“It is sold as a best-seller, even with Christmas discounts. That is unacceptable,” he said, noting that the sale of such weapons is punishable by up to five years in prison and fines of 75,000 euros.

The opening has also sparked commercial repercussions: the Galeries Lafayette group is ending its partnership with Société des Grands Magasins (SGM), the operator of BHV, over its collaboration with Shein. EFE

cat/seo